Recreation and Parks Board
RECREATION AND PARKS BOARD: LOWER ALLEN TOWNSHIP
REGULAR MEETING AUGUST 24, 2016
The following were in ATTENDANCE:
|BOARD MEMBERS||TOWNSHIP PERSONNEL|
|Greg Mahon, Chairman||Donna Paul, Township Representative|
|Susan Parry, Vice Chairman||Julie Echterling, Recording Secretary|
|Richard Grove, Secretary|
|Bob Pelles-arrived at 7:13|
Mr. Mahon called the August 24, 2016 Regular Meeting of the Recreation and Parks Board to order at 7:05 pm.
Mr. GROVE made a motion to approve the July 27, 2016 meeting minutes. Mr. KAISER seconded the motion. Motion carried 4-0.
Yellow Breeches Park
Mrs. Paul spoke about a Girl Scout project involving the installation of a kiosk with maps and trails.
LIAISON REPORT – COMMISSIONER YOUNG:
There was no liaison report.
RECREATION AND PARKS STAFF REPORT/ACTIVITIES REPORT:
Mrs. Paul discussed the following activities from her monthly memo:
- Cedar Spring Run Park – bollard lights installation underway
- Fun Fort – Study – will go out for bid soon.
- Yellow Breeches Park – Girl Scout project – kiosk w/water trail maps.
- Design of Beacon Hill Trail extension is nearly complete, expected to go out for bid soon. Construction to be completed in the Spring.
- Little Library at CSR Park complete, books not yet stocked.
- Scout project at Radar Site planned for the Fall: trees, sign re: historical significance of radar site.
Ms. Parry asked if the Scouts could come through the Recreation & Parks Board so they are aware of them. Discussion ensued. Mr. Mahon will email Mr. Vernau and ask him about being kept in the loop for the projects. Mrs. Paul stated the tasks completed in July were listed in her memo for the Board to review.
Revised Park Tours Notes
Below are the updates discussed:
Highland Park and Playgrounds
- Discussed faded paint for the shuffleboard and turning back into a four square or hopscotch area.
- Provide benches at play area.
- Long Term Goals:
- Improve water trail access – possible Scout project.
Priority List from Park Tours
Mr. Grove spoke about presenting the Board’s suggestions to the Board of Commissioners for the first meeting of September. This will allow the suggestions to be considered for the budget. He referenced Mr. Vernau’s letter to this Board dated October 2015 and provided a copy to the Board. Below are the items discussed to include in the presentation to the Board for 2017 budget:
- Sheepford Equipment – budget for 2017
- Upgrades to Fun Fort – there is a study budgeted for replacing the older part of Fun Fort.
- Allendale Basketball court fence – Budget for 2017.
- Pete’s Field – water fountain at the Pavilion. The Board discussed the location of the water fountain and decided to request it be included 2017 at the Pavilion.
- Creekwood/Yellow Breeches- The Board discussed improving the water access. Ms. Parry suggested considering a grant to help in this endeavor.
- Recycling containers – Ms. Parry discussed educational grants that just recently came available that could help with the cost of the containers.
- Loop trail at LACP
The Board discussed Windsor Park and the public meeting held a few years ago. Mr. Grove spoke about the continued cost of maintenance and upkeep for the Township. He spoke about several options. Ms. Parry suggested putting something in that would require no maintenance for the Township.
Mr. Mahon will attend the September 12, 2016 meeting of the Board of Commissioners. He will send an email to everyone. He thanked Mrs. Paul for her work on the updated parks list.
Mrs. Paul discussed the Township’s first Yappy Hour event held at the dog park at LACP. She spoke about the vendors and donations they received. They will hopefully plan another event next year.
Mrs. Paul spoke about the rain garden. The Board discussed the items needed to clean up the garden. Mrs. Paul, Ms. Parry, and Mr. Mahon will meet on September 2nd at 3 pm to remove weeds. Ms. Parry will send an email to the Board inviting everyone to help that day.
Gardeners Gathering Recap
Ms. Parry stated the workshops went well. They had about 20-2 5people attend the workshops. The plant swap went well. The group discussed having workshops back to back workshops so attendees can attend two in one day. The compost and rain barrel workshop ideas were discussed and the possibility of applying for grants for these workshops. The idea of herb gardening and or farming was discussed.
Mrs. Paul has all the flyers from the previous Gardeners Gatherings and can make a list of other workshops offered during the years. The idea of asking for suggestions on Facebook in January was discussed.
No new business was discussed.
The Regular Meeting of the Recreation and Parks Board adjourned at 7:53 pm.
Next meeting is on Wednesday, September 28 at 7:00 pm.