Recreation and Parks Board
RECREATION AND PARKS BOARD: LOWER ALLEN TOWNSHIP
REGULAR MEETING OCTOBER 26, 2016
The following were in ATTENDANCE:
|BOARD MEMBERS||TOWNSHIP PERSONNEL|
|Susan Parry, Vice Chairman||Donna Paul, Township Representative|
|Richard Grove, Secretary||Julie Echterling, Recording Secretary|
|Bob Pelles-arrived at 7:16|
|Greg Mahon, Chairman|
Ms. Parry called the October 26, 2016 Regular Meeting of the Recreation and Parks Board to order at 7:04 pm.
Mr. GROVE made a motion to approve the September 28, 2016 meeting minutes. Mr. DUCANSON seconded the motion. Motion carried 4-0.
Mrs. Paul spoke about an Eagle Scout project of installing a historical marker.
LIAISON REPORT – COMMISSIONER YOUNG:
There was no liaison report.
RECREATION AND PARKS STAFF REPORT/ACTIVITIES REPORT:
Mrs. Paul discussed the following activities from her monthly memo:
- Selection of Consultant for Fun Fort Design – Century Engineering.
- Sheepford Crossing – tot playground equipment in 2017 budget.
- Eagle Scout project at LACP. Concession stand & restroom area was painted and landscape work was done as well around the concession stand area. All work has been completed.
- Eagle Scout project at Beacon Hill Radar Site will include historical marker and a bench.
- Fall softball and baseball to finish up this week. Soccer to conclude 2nd week of November.
Mrs. Paul spoke about the following tasks the Parks Staff completed in September:
- Fun Fort maintenance work at LACP
- Replaced signs around concession stand and restroom at LACP.
- Fall field maintenance in all parks and mulched areas where needed.
- Barn maintenance to include painting of hand railing and planting of mums.
- Tree limb trimming at Township parks.
Mr. Duncanson asked about the master plan and asked if there was anything new. Mr. Grove has the binder and will see if there is an electronic version of the plan to share.
Ms. Parry spoke about the rain garden and a clean-up day. Mrs. Paul will send an email to everyone to find a date that will work for a clean-up day.
Ms. Parry spoke about DEP educational grants currently available. Mrs. Paul stated Mrs. Trone handles grants and she will let her know.
2017 Meeting Schedule & Events
Mrs. Paul provided a list of the events for 2017 including the meeting dates, Easter Egg Hunt, and the Gardeners Gathering.
Mrs. Paul shared an email about a Parks survey from NRPA. Below are the results of the study:
- Americans visit their local park and recreation facilities on average 29 times a year.
- 90% agree that parks and recreation is an important local government service.
- 75% support increased local government spending for parks and recreation.
- 70% say they are more likely to vote for local politicians who make park and recreation a funding priority.
- 3 in 4 agree that conservation, health and wellness, and social equity represent what they see as priorities for parks and recreation.
The Board received a letter from two young residents about their desire to have playground equipment in Highland park. The Board was supportive of her request and want to make sure the Township or this Board respond to their letter.
Mrs. Paul stated Mr. Mahon’s term is expiring the end of this year. He will receive a letter from the Township notifying him of the expiration and asking him if he would like to serve another 5 year term.
The Regular Meeting of the Recreation and Parks Board adjourned at 7:43 pm.
Next meeting is on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 7:00 pm. Charter Homes will be at the November meeting.