Recreation and Parks Board
RECREATION AND PARKS BOARD: LOWER ALLEN TOWNSHIP
REGULAR MEETING NOVEMBER 16, 2016
The following were in ATTENDANCE:
|BOARD MEMBERS||TOWNSHIP PERSONNEL|
|Susan Parry, Vice Chairman||Donna Paul, Township Representative|
|Richard Grove, Secretary||Julie Echterling, Recording Secretary|
|Bob Pelles-arrived at 7:16|
|Greg Mahon, Chairman|
Ms. Parry called the November 16, 2016 Regular Meeting of the Recreation and Parks Board to order at 7:05 pm.
Mr. GROVE made a motion to approve the October 28, 2016 meeting minutes. Mr. PELLES seconded the motion. Motion carried 4-0.
Allendale and Creekwood Park
There were no public comments.
LIAISON REPORT – COMMISSIONER YOUNG:
There was no liaison report.
RECREATION AND PARKS STAFF REPORT/ACTIVITIES REPORT:
Mrs. Paul discussed the following activities from her monthly memo:
- All sports and use of fields at the parks have concluded for the season.
- Eagle Scout project at Beacon Hill Radar site has been completed. The project consists of benches, shrubs, mulch and two historical markers. One marker is located at the old tower site and the other maker is located where the building once stood.
- Park tours punch list was addressed by the park staff, except for the solar lights at Highland Estates and Wass Park pavilions. More research needs to be done prior to purchasing the lights.
- 2016 has been a good year for rentals and use of the parks.
Mrs. Paul spoke about the following tasks the Parks Staff completed in October:
- Continued maintenance at the parks.
- Water fountains have been shut off and upper restrooms at LACP have been closed for the season.
Mr. Kaiser asked if there would a dedication of the Cedar Run Park. Mrs. Paul stated one hasn’t been planned yet. They did put lights and a library in this year and Mr. Grove stated playground equipment would be installed next year.
Mr. Kaiser asked about West Shore Recreation. Mr. Grove stated the Township is still part of it and will continue for next year.
Ms. Parry spoke about the rain garden and a clean-up day. They got a lot done and need to plan another one in the Spring.
2017 Meeting Schedule & Events
Mrs. Paul provided a list of the events for 2017 including the meeting dates for the Easter Egg Hunt and the Gardeners Gathering.
Mrs. Paul stated Mr. Mahon’s term is expiring the end of this year. The Board spoke about the absences of some members this year. Mrs. Paul stated there is interest from other residents to serve on the Board. She will speak to Mr. Vernau.
The Board spoke about ideas for the Gardeners Gathering including the following:
- Rain Barrels with a possible grant.
- Kaiser spoke about the MS4 requirements and how this could help the Township.
- Herb garden.
- Green house/setting up gardens
- Tree identification
- Native plant identification
The Board discussed the plant swap which brings the most residents to the event. Ms. Parry will prepare something for Facebook for posting in January.
The Regular Meeting of the Recreation and Parks Board adjourned at 7:40 pm.
Next meeting is on Wednesday, January 25, 2017 at 7:00 pm.