Recreation and Parks Board
RECREATION AND PARKS BOARD: LOWER ALLEN TOWNSHIP
REGULAR MEETING APRIL 26, 2017
The following were in ATTENDANCE:
BOARD MEMBERS TOWNSHIP PERSONNEL
Susan Parry, Vice Chairman Wendy Hayden, Township Representative
Bob Pelles Julie Echterling, Recording Secretary
Ms. Parry called the April 26, 2017 Regular Meeting of the Recreation and Parks Board to order at 7:03 pm.
APPROVAL OF MEETING MINUTES
There was not a quorum and a vote wasn’t taken.
Mrs. Hayden stated 220’ of outfield fencing is budgeted to be replaced in 2017. This will most likely be installed in late fall. Regular park maintenance will continue in the park.
LIAISON REPORT – COMMISSIONER YOUNG
Commissioner Young was not present at the meeting and there was no liaison report.
RECREATION AND PARKS STAFF REPORT/ACTIVITIES REPORT
Mrs. Hayden discussed the following activities from her monthly memo:
- Ball field work and mulching of needed areas, was ongoing during the month.
- A new shed was purchased and installed at Yetter Field, Wass Park, for the leagues to store equipment. The old shed was repurposed, and taken to the maintenance area, near the Barn at LACP.
- Continued maintenance and cleanup was ongoing through the month.
- The Rain Garden was cleaned out during the month, and seems to be draining well.
- She spoke about the Easter Egg Hunt. She stated it was well attended (400 children). She said without the Sponsors (Hershey’s Corp, Lower Allen Authority, Weis Markets, Warrell Candy Corp, Fountainblue Staking arena and Walmart) the event would not be able to be held within the allotted $200 budget.
- Facility rentals continue at LACP. The sports fields at all the parks are in full utilization.
Gardeners Gathering-April 29th
Mrs. Hayden stated the legwork has been completed by Public Works as requested by the Board. Mr. Chianos was a huge help with purchasing the items needed for the rain barrels. She stated 20 barrels were delivered by the County to the Public Works Building. They have been washed out and are at the barn. She stated that Lori will be coming to drill the holes in the barrels and get the hoses and screening ready. There are 13 registered with three paying at the door. Ms. Parry stated she would do a rain barrel to make it 14. The extra barrels can be bought by Township employees or attendees at the seminar. Mrs. Hayden stated PA American Water is coming and will have a table setup. Ms. Parry stated they will be doing the plant swap. Mr. Duncanson will go with his donation letters this week and try and obtain donations. Ms. Parry went and has her donations setup. Ms. Parry, Mrs. Hayden, Mr. Duncanson, and Mr. Mahon have volunteered to be there for the event. Everyone should meet at the barn at 9:00am.
Mr. Duncanson spoke about the tickets for the plant swap and ensuring everyone has a chance with the tickets. Mrs. Hayden will bring cups and food and Ms. Parry will bring the coffee. Mrs. Hayden will speak with Mr. Grove to see if he reached out to Black Landscaping. Discussion ensued.
Ms. Parry asked about the rain garden. Mrs. Hayden stated they removed rocks and it is draining better. Ms. Parry spoke about obtaining the needed plants for the summer and making a schedule for weeding for the summer. She asked that no spraying be done near the garden.
The Regular Meeting of the Recreation and Parks Board adjourned at 7:25 pm.
Next meeting is Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 6:00 pm for the Park Tours. Ms. Parry stated she will be unable to attend as she will be leaving for a wedding. Mrs. Hayden will send out notices and reminders of the tours.