Recreation and Parks Board
RECREATION AND PARKS BOARD: LOWER ALLEN TOWNSHIP
REGULAR MEETING SEPTEMBER 27, 2017
The following were in ATTENDANCE:
BOARD MEMBERS TOWNSHIP PERSONNEL
|Greg Mahon, Chairman||Wendy Hayden, Township Representative|
|Richard Grove, Secretary||Julie Echterling, Recording Secretary|
Mr. Mahon called the September 27, 2017 Regular Meeting of the Recreation and Parks Board to order at 7:03 pm.
APPROVAL OF MEETING MINUTES
Mr. GROVE made a motion to approve the August meeting minutes. Mr. PELLES seconded the motion. Motion carried 5-0.
Lower Allen Community Park
There were no public comments provided.
LIAISON REPORT – COMMISSIONER YOUNG
Commissioner Young was not present at the meeting and there was no liaison report.
RECREATION AND PARKS STAFF REPORT/ACTIVITIES REPORT
Mrs. Hayden discussed the following items:
- Mowing, tree trimming, wood chipping and vegetation control at all the parks, is ongoing.
- Playground equipment for the Cedar Spring Run Park has been installed.
- Aeration and over seeding, to the athletic fields at LACP, has been completed.
- Trinity High School is holding cross-country practice at LACP, utilizing the course that was laid out by an eagle scout. The last athletic event at LACP for the season will be Dillsburg Soccer Tournament over the Columbus Day weekend.
- Fall Ball for Cedar Cliff youth softball/baseball is ongoing at Wass Park, and will wrap up in October.
- Allendale-Beacon Hill trail is completed. A ribbon cutting ceremony will take place on October 21st. The Board is welcome to attend. Kaiser stated he would post something on Facebook for Beacon Hill residents to know about this event.
Park Tour Prioritization
The Board discussed the following park recommendations:
- Upgrade tot lot structures at LACP – in the 2018 Capital Budget
- Install water fountain at Pete’s Field – in the 2018 Capital budget
- Install play structure at Cedar Spring Run Park – DONE
- Install signs at Highland Park basketball courts regarding music, profane language and littering and increase enforcement of same – Not a budgeted item.
- Replace fence at the basketball court at Allendale Park – in the 2018 Capital Budget.
- Install more bat boxes at Creekwood Park – not a budgeted item.
- Continue to explore and provide enhancements of the Beacon Hill Radar Site – wedding kiosks was discussed but wouldn’t be until maybe 2020.
- Provide recycling containers at all Township parks.
- Continue Fun Fort long term planning -proposal is in budget.
- Begin the planning process for the construction of a walking trail along the perimeter for Lower Allen Community Park – not a budget item.
- Continue the planning for the enhancement of Windsor Park Open Area – 2019 install walking trail and amenities.
- Better boat access for Yellow Breeches – put in for next year.
Mr. Grove stated a letter could be sent to the Township but the budget has been completed. Mr. Mahon stated he would put the letter together. Mr. Duncanson stated he could attend the Board of Commissioners meeting if Ms. Parry couldn’t attend.
Review Final Fun Fort Plans
Mrs. Hayden stated Mrs. Trone wanted the Board’s input on the Fun Fort Proposal. She hopes to know about the grant before the next meeting. Mr. Kaiser stated White Ash trees have been diseased and are dying for the past 5-6 years. He suggested replacing them. Mr. Grove stated the proposal is $400,000 but not sure if this will change as the Board hasn’t approve the proposal. Discussion ensued. Mrs. Hayden will share Mr. Kaiser’s comments.
Mr. Mahon asked about the rain garden. Mrs. Hayden stated after the last meeting, the rain garden was trimmed down to the ground. She stated nothing was harmed and it will grow back.
The Regular Meeting of the Recreation and Parks Board adjourned at 7:31 pm.
Next meeting is Wednesday, October 25, 2017 at 7:00 pm.