Recreation and Parks Board
RECREATION AND PARKS BOARD: LOWER ALLEN TOWNSHIP
REGULAR MEETING NOVEMBER 15, 2017
The following were in ATTENDANCE:
BOARD MEMBERS TOWNSHIP PERSONNEL
|Greg Mahon, Chairman||Wendy Hayden, Administrative Assistant/Event Planner|
|Richard Grove, Secretary||Julie Echterling, Recording Secretary|
Mr. Mahon called the November 15, 2017 Regular Meeting of the Recreation and Parks Board to order at 7:00 pm.
APPROVAL OF MEETING MINUTES
Mr. GROVE made a motion to approve the October meeting minutes. Mr. PELLES seconded the motion. Motion carried 5-0.
Allendale and Creekwood Parks
There were no public comments provided.
LIAISON REPORT – COMMISSIONER YOUNG
Commissioner Young was not present at the meeting and there was no liaison report.
RECREATION AND PARKS STAFF REPORT/ACTIVITIES REPORT
Mrs. Hayden discussed the following items:
Parks Operation Staff:
- Over seeding and fertilization was performed at all Township athletic fields and
- Drainage work at Pete’s field was completed. The new fencing was also installed, during the last week of October, by Tyson fencing. The bleachers were transported to the shop for needed repairs.
- The overflow parking area, at the LACP Lower pavilion, was top soiled and
- Leaf collection in all parks is ongoing.
- 8 Hornbeam trees were purchased with the generous $1000.00 donation from Mr. and Mrs. Michael Smith, of Mechanicsburg. Public Works sent a small crew, with a pickup truck and our new skid loader trailer, to pick up the trees, from Wolk Landscaping in Sugarloaf, PA. Members of the crew built wooden side rails for our trailer, to help keep the large 15’ trees, with 250-pound root balls in place. Large tarps were purchased to cover the mature trees, helping to prevent wind burn on the lengthy ride. The trees were planted and can be viewed along the front side of the Cedar Spring Run
- Trinity High School held a cross county run on November 11th, at LACP, to benefit the Four Diamonds
- A reminder of the upcoming New Year’s Eve party at the LACP Barn. Members of the New Year’s Eve Committee, will once again hold a family friendly, alcohol free celebration, on New Year’s Eve, from 8:00pm –
· Please mark your calendars for the following Township events for 2018:
(Easter egg hunt – March 24th. and the Gardeners Gathering – April 28th)
Mr. Grove stated the following are in the 2018 budget: Allendale fence replacement, water fountain at Pete’s Field, Fun Fort – if grant is approved, sheds for LACP, barn improvements and required water testing. Windsor Park is in the 2019 budget.
2018 Meeting Schedule, Park Tours, Event Schedule and Reorganization
Mrs. Hayden provided the Board with the 2018 meeting schedule along with event schedule. She
mentioned the Easter Egg Hunt for 2018 and the Gardner’s Gathering. She stated Mr. Grove and Ms. Parry terms are up for the end of 2017. Mr. Vernau has candidates for Mrs. Kohr’s seat. Mrs. Echterling explained the process for the January meeting. Mrs. Hayden will start the meeting and accepting nominations for Chairman, once everyone has been sworn in.
The Board discussed submitting the priority list of items from the Park Tours earlier next year. Mr. Grove spoke of Commissioner Young’s support of the Board and Recreation projects through the years.
Mr. MAHON made a motion to thank Commissioner Young for his years of service to the Recreation Board and his support for the Board’s work. Mr. KAISER seconded the motion. Motion carried 5-0.
The Regular Meeting of the Recreation and Parks Board adjourned at 7:19 pm. Next meeting is January 24, 2018 at 7:00 pm.