6-21-2021 Meeting Minutes
DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY LOWER ALLEN TOWNSHIP
REGULAR MEETING June 21, 2021
The following were in ATTENDANCE:
AUTHORITY MEMBERS TOWNSHIP PERSONNEL
Max Stoner, Chairman Erin Trone, Township Assistant Manager
H. Edward Black, Vice Chairman Julie Echterling, Recording Secretary
John Eby, Secretary Steven Miner, Solicitor
Salvatore F. Marone, Treasurer
Max Stoner, Chairman called the meeting of the Lower Allen Township Development Authority to order at 6:08pm and announced Proof of Publication was available for review.
Mark O’Shea was absent with excuse.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF MAY 17, 2021
Mr. EBY made a motion to approve the minutes of the May 17, 2021. Mr. BLACK seconded the motion. Motion carried, 4-0.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF JUNE 1, 2021
Mr. EBY made a motion to approve the minutes of the June 1, 2021 special meeting. Mr. BLACK seconded the motion. Motion carried, 4-0.
ACTION: APPROVE CHANGE ORDER-SCOPE OF WORK TO AMEND TENANT SPACE SIZES
Mrs. Trone explained this is just a slight change to the scope of work for two design changes.
Mr. EBY made a motion to authorize scope of work change order dated June 17, 2021 from KD3 Design Studio pertaining to design changes to accommodate changes in the tenant space sizes. Mr. MARONE seconded the motion. Mr. Eby stated to add a note as follows: for permit purposes this will be reviewed as a change so that we don’t get down to the final inspection and have an issue. Motion carried, 4-0.
Mr. Black stated he would be much more comfortable with a cost on the change orders; Mrs. Trone explained she believes this is under the scope of work for the contract for construction administration. Discussion ensued on change order process.
ACTION: CHANGE ORDER TO YORK EXCAVATION TO UNIT PRICE FOR ROCK EXCAVATION
- Trone informed the Board the bid with York Excavation allowed for a certain threshold of rock and unfortunately, we hit that on the first day so we are into the unit pricing which is substantially more. She did look into the cost and their price was fair. EAS is on site and checking on how much rock is coming out along with ECM on site also is verifying the amount of rock that is coming out. This is for two change orders; $47,078.32, change order # 8001, to do the construction for the public sewer feed and a change order # 8003, for $73,028.91 to do the rock excavation for the design; these change orders were received today after 4:00pm. Discussion ensued on the excavation. Tom Ritchey, Third Mountain Partners, added this is entirely appropriate and he also stated the contingency we are carrying for this is $436,000. Mr. EBY made a motion to approve York Excavation change order #8001 for $47,078.32 for rock removal allowance in the public right-away. Mr. MARONE seconded the motion. Motion carried, 4-0. Mr. EBY made a motion to approve York Excavation change order #8003 in the amount of $73,028.91 for rock removal in excess of allowance for on-site construction. Mr. MARONE seconded the motion. Motion carried, 4-0.
- Zoning Ordinance – Mrs. Trone stated the Township has been considering updating the Zoning Ordinance on a large scale. Since then they have had numerous requests to the zoning hearing board that the standard zoning is a little out of date. This Development Authority has mentioned on several occasions they would like to remove some of the hindrances to make more smooth processes. They are looking at how to encourage development and redevelopment. She informed the board she has put in an application to Cumberland County to seek funding to help with this project; it is a long process. Mr. EBY made a motion to authorize Mrs. Trone to prepare a letter from this Board to Cumberland County Planning Department in support of funding for an update of Lower Allen zoning ordinance subject to the review of this Board. Mr. MARONE seconded the motion. Motion carried, 4-0.
- Gettysburg Road Corridor – Mrs. Trone stated they had sent out a survey for the Gettysburg Road Corridor. They hosted five design sessions with ten to fifteen people attending. There were good responses; wanted to have a dedicated bike lane; lighting along the lane; instead of developing the right-of-way, just beautifying it and use it for the Township’s stormwater purposes; Mr. Eby stated encouraging mixed-use redevelopment; gateway and street scape improvements. Next step is to develop a plan and go to the planning commission.
- Arcona-8.1 – Mr. Eby reported this phase is the new phase that is bounded by Rossmoyne Road, PA Turnpike, the Norfolk Southern Railroad and the Lesher Farm House. The entry sign is up and looks like a corn crib. Sales were brisk and the construction code official has been busy. The Streets are also going in.
- Rossmoyne Elementary – Mr. Eby informed the board, was approved with temporary occupancy for certain classrooms to finish out the school year and then issued a temporary certificate for the entire building. K1 and 2 are at Lower Allen Elementary and K3, 4 and 5 are at Rossmoyne Elementary; then next year K3 thru 5 will be at Rossmoyne and that will mean since they will not be using the Lower Allen Elementary this may be a redevelopment opportunity or they will possibly repurpose this school.
- Locust Street Homes – 145 South Locust Street which was the Stephenson Greenhouse; this is an eight single family capacity and is recordable as of tomorrow. They locked into the storm water basin and now can hook up to the Lower Allen Sewer. They hopefully will follow up in a few months with construction permit applications.
RECESS TO EXECUTIVE SESSION
The Regular Meeting of the Development Authority recessed into Executive Session to discuss real estate transactions for Lower Allen Commons @ 6:37pm.
RECONVENE REGULAR MEETING
The Regular Meeting of the Development Authority reconvened @ 6:57pm.
Mr. MARONE made a motion to authorize payment of invoice from Campbell Real Estate regarding the one-third of the commission for $70,448.40 related to the commission of the specialty grocer previously agreed upon. Seconded by Mr. BLACK. Motion carried, 4-0.
NEXT MEETING OF THE DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY
The next meeting of the Development Authority is scheduled for Monday July 19, 2021 at 6:00pm.
Mr. EBY made a motion to adjourn. Mr. MARONE seconded the motion. Motion carried, 4-0. Meeting adjourned at 7:00pm.