Recreation & Parks Board
RECREATION AND PARKS BOARD: LOWER ALLEN TOWNSHIP
REGULAR MEETING JULY 27, 2016
The following were in ATTENDANCE:
|BOARD MEMBERS||TOWNSHIP PERSONNEL|
|Greg Mahon, Chairman||Donna Paul, Township Representative|
|Susan Parry, Vice Chairman||Pedderick Young, Commissioner|
|Richard Grove, Secretary||Julie Echterling, Recording Secretary|
|Bob Pelles-arrived at 7:13|
Mr. Mahon called the July 27, 2016 Regular Meeting of the Recreation and Parks Board to order at 7:06 pm.
Mr. GROVE made a motion to approve the April 27, 2016 meeting minutes. Mr. KAISER seconded the motion. Motion carried 4-0.
Mrs. Paul stated general maintenance is being performed at the park.
LIAISON REPORT – COMMISSIONER YOUNG:
Commissioner Young spoke about the Township working with Norfolk Southern for continuing the trail under the railroad. He stated they have approval from Norfolk’s corporate office but the local office said no. He spoke about the trail and concerns Norfolk has with the trail and the rain with creating a slippery surface. There is a new plan that would cover the trail, cutting back the shrubs and improve the lighting.
RECREATION AND PARKS STAFF REPORT/ACTIVITIES REPORT:
Mrs. Paul discussed the following activities from her monthly memo:
- Cedar Spring Run Park-bollard light replacement is going to be installed.
- Yappy Hour event at Lower Allen Community Park on August 4th from 5:30-7:00 pm.
- Automatic Locks will be installed at LACP & CSR Park restrooms.
- Reservations for the Barn/pavilion have picked up for the season.
Mrs. Paul stated the tasks completed in April, May and June were listed in her memo for the Board to review.
Park Tours Recap
Below are the highlights, by park, discussed during the meeting from the park tours completed in May and June:
Highland Estates Playground
- The park was in good shape and stayed mostly the same.
- Mr. Chianos stated the short term goal of installing Pavilion lighting and electricity is on his to do list.
Highland Park and Playgrounds
- Possible Eagle Scout project for painting shuffleboard and four square and hop scotch.
- Short term goal of a suggested climbing wall structure. Mr. Chianos will try for the 2017 budget.
- Added: fix cracks on tennis backboard.
- Mr. Duncanson noted new tan bark is needed.
- Short term goals were discussed:
- Repair/Repaint fence with galvanized finish (to be replaced in 2017)
- Added: Rocking motorcycle needs greased and Swing slat closest to highway needs to be replaced.
- Short term Goals
- Additional bat boxes closer to the creek.
- Remove poison ivy near the boat launch area.
- Additional gravel needed along trail to fill in muddy areas.
- Long Term Goals:
- Improve water trail access – possible Scout project.
- Frisbee Golf – possible Scout project.
- The property next to the creek may be for sale for the Township to buy. Mr. Vernau is reaching out and waiting to hear back from the property owner.
Beacon Hill Park
- Short Term Goals:
- Install information Kiosk/Message Board -possible Scout project
- Add wood carpet under saddle swings
- Half court rim is bent.
Beacon Hill Heights – “Radar Site”
- Changed the wording under long term goal. Remove the word “consider” to read “historical interpretation should be considered”.
Lower Allen Park
- Short Term Goals:
- Deleted top of swing at tot lot needs painted, stairs at Lower Pavilion soccer field to boat launch has a broken rail connector, and camp site 1 has no picnic table.
- Added big crack at basketball court – opened up at center court.
- Sand box is not functional especially after rain.
- The Board discussed their concerns with Fun Fort and the age of some of the structures. Mr. Grove stated there have been discussions about what to do with the older part. He stated Mr. Vernau has spoken about having a study done for the Fun Fort before proceeding with any changes.
Yellow Breeches Park
- Short term goal – Initiate planning for passive recreation toward Yellow Breeches Creek water trail – boat launch for put in or take out areas.
- Long Term goal-develop/improve nature trail/extension
- Grove suggested going earlier to this park before the summer growth and maybe do a winter trip to this location.
- Short term goals
- Install information kiosk/message board -potential scout project
- Install water fountain – possible 2017 project
- Replace soffit on backside of concession stand
- Exposed metal edges at T post located at bottom of fence
Vernon C. Wass Park
- Short term goals
- Complete Yetter Field Improvements
- All bleacher boards need repainted at the baseball field– was added this year.
Sheepford Crossing Park
- Short term goal-need for toddler play equipment.
Windsor Park Open Space
- Mr. Vernau asked for something to be done with this field.
Mrs. Paul asked Mr. Mahon and the Board to prepare a prioritized list to submit for the Board of Commissioners for consideration. Mr. Mahon asked the Board to make of list of things for discussion at the next meeting. Mr. Grove stated the list is needed by the end of August for consideration for budget. Mrs. Paul stated she would make the changes provided to her and she would get the revised copy out to the Board next week.
Mrs. Paul spoke about the rain garden and how there were monies to purchase plants for the garden. She stated it needed to be cleaned-up. The Board agreed to wait until fall to schedule a work date for the rain garden. Mr. Mahon stated he is able to help with the rain garden in the fall.
Mr. Duncanson asked about the situation in the park from the visitor that attended the last meeting. Mr. Grove stated it was discussed in the Staff meeting and Director Holl believes it needs to be addressed and would take care of it. Commissioner Young stated they have increased patrols but need to catch the kids in the act. Mr. Duncanson asked about the West Shore Recreation Commission. Commissioner Young stated he attended their last meeting and they haven’t lost any of their memberships.
No new business was discussed.
The Regular Meeting of the Recreation and Parks Board adjourned at 8:13 pm.
Next meeting is on Wednesday, August 24th at 7:00 pm.