Recreation & Park Board
RECREATION AND PARKS BOARD: LOWER ALLEN TOWNSHIP
REGULAR MEETING MARCH 25, 2015
The following were in ATTENDANCE:
BOARD MEMBERS TOWNSHIP PERSONNEL
Greg Mahon, Chairman Donna Paul, Township Representative
Susan Parry, Vice Chairman Julie Echterling, Recording Secretary
Richard Grove, Secretary
Mr. Mahon called the March 25, 2015 Regular Meeting of the Recreation and Parks Board to order at 7:04 pm.
APPROVAL OF MEETING MINUTES
Ms. PARRY made a motion to approve the amended minutes from the February 25, 2015 meeting. Mr. PELLES seconded the motion. Motion carried 7-0.
There were no public comments. Mrs. Paul discussed the bids for the new Pavilion and the replacing of the fence.
LIAISON REPORT – COMMISSIONER H. EDWARD BLACK
Commissioner Black was not present at the meeting and there was no liaison report.
RECREATION AND PARKS STAFF REPORT/ACTIVITIES REPORT
Mrs. Paul discussed the following activities from her monthly memo:
• Layout plan is being worked on for the backstop and field project at Wass Park.
• Trinity boy’s baseball season has started at Yetter and LACP ball fields. Trinity girls’ softball season has begun at Pete’s Field. Lacrosse season has started at LACP.
• A grant was submitted last week for recycling containers to be used in Township parks.
Mrs. Paul highlighted the following tasks that were completed in February:
• An order was placed for 120 new black padded banquet chairs for use in the upper level of the Barn, along with some additional tables and 3 new table carts.
• Water fountains and restrooms will be opened during the first week in April, as long as the weather cooperates.
• The garden plots, located at Yellow Breeches Park, are once again in high demand for the 2015 season. Applications for interested residents were sent out during the month.
Easter Egg Hunt
Mrs. Paul stated the girl scouts helped fill the eggs with candy on Tuesday and she hopes to finish the rest of the eggs on Thursday. She stated Bonnie Miller’s daughter is able to be the Easter Bunny. Ms. Parry has two volunteers to help her on the upper level for the event. Mr. Grove and Mrs. Echterling will help with the 4-6 year olds. Mr. Pelles will help with the 7-10 year olds. Mrs. Paul asked the Metro bank volunteers to arrive at 8:45am the day of the event. Discussion ensued.
Ms. Parry stated PA American Water has donated $500 which will be used for the plants and plugs for the rain garden. She will take care of the drinks and supplies. Mrs. Paul will take care of the food for the event. The donation letters were given to the Board members to distribute to the following vendors: Highland Gardens, Royers, Ashcombe, Stauffer’s, Blooms by Vickrey and Jeffery’s Flowers. Ms. Parry discussed the setup required for each session. She asked the volunteers to arrive by 9:00am. Mrs. Paul stated she has notified the Patriot News of the event along with posting it on the website and social media. Discussion ensued.
Mr. Mahon discussed the potential grants available for the Township. Mrs. Paul stated Charter Homes asked to provide an update at the next meeting.
The Regular Meeting of the Recreation and Parks Board adjourned at 7:39 pm.
Next meeting is Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 7:00 pm.