Recreation and Parks Board
8-25-2021 Meeting Minutes
|RECREATION AND PARKS BOARD:||LOWER ALLEN TOWNSHIP|
|REGULAR MEETING||AUGUST 25, 2021|
|The following were in ATTENDANCE:|
|BOARD MEMBERS||TOWNSHIP PERSONNEL|
|Greg Mahon||Heather Douden, Administrative Asst/Event Planner|
|Susan Parry||Michelle Kilgore, Recording Secretary|
Mr. Mahon called the August 25, 2021 Regular Meeting of the Lower Allen Township Recreation and Parks Board to order at 7:00 pm.
APPROVAL OF MEETING MINUTES
Mr. GROVE motioned to approve the minutes from the July 28, 2021 Regular Meeting. Ms. PARRY seconded. The motion carried 4-0.
Yellow Breeches Park
There was none.
LIAISON REPORT – COMMISSIONER HOLTZMAN
Commissioner Holtzman was absent from the meeting.
RECREATION AND PARKS STAFF REPORT – HEATHER DOUDEN
- Douden noted the Fun Fort is open, and ribbon cutting occurred.
- Ballfield maintenance is ongoing, and Fall season commences next week.
- Old swing set at Highland Park was torn down the day prior, and the concrete will come in for the upcoming Monday, at which time the new swing set will be put assembled.
- Field bookings are full until the end of November for soccer, baseball, and softball.
- Pavilion and barn reservations – still coming in, and well booked into November.
Ms. Parry asked how LAT was financially affected the year prior for rentals. Mr. Grove replied that 2020 showed the lowest numbers since he had been employed by the Township. He added that the rentals are not a major revenue-maker for the Township, but that he would email the previous year’s financials to the Board.
Mr. Mahon asked if anyone attended the ribbon cutting, and what the outcome was. Mr. Grove stated he participated, and that it was well attended, with approximately 30 adults and 10 children. He stated that Senator Regan, Representative Delozier, President Villone, and Commissioner Kutz were also in attendance and that the LAT representatives gave a twenty-minute presentation. He added that Senator Regan was able to secure $250,000 in grant funding.
Referring to Ms. Douden’s comment on the swing set replacement at Highland Park, Mr. Mahon asked how the replacement project came about, as he could not recall the P&R Board recommending the work. Ms. Douden was not clear on how the initiative unfolded but did say that she suspects there were issues with its structural integrity of the old set. Mr. Mahon stated he took pictures of the new set and will email them out.
Ms. Douden gave the following updates for the Gardeners’ Gathering:
- The agenda has been finalized (presented at meeting).
- Four donation letters will be provided to Mr. Mahon for signature
- Highland Gardens (Ms. Parry to deliver)
- Royers Flowers (Ms. Parry to deliver)
- Blooms by Vickrey (Mr. Mahon to deliver)
- Ashcombe’s (Ms. Parry to deliver)
- Classic Dry Cleaners will be donating two cases of water bottles.
- Stouffers is donating a $25 gift card.
- Subway’s donation is to be determined but hoping for a cookie tray.
- Douden has tickets for the raffle, Ms. Parry has tickets for the plant swap.
- To promote the event, fliers and agendas will go out to PennLive, Cumberland Valley Visitor’s Bureau, Garden Club Federation of PA, West Shore Garden Association. Douden provided the Board extra fliers to pass out and place in public areas.
Ms. Parry asked if a screen, projector, computer is needed. Ms. Douden said she would contact Mr. Black to see if any of this equipment would be needed, but that a projector and screen is already on hand at the location. She added that Andy (the beekeeper) has already tested his computer against the barn’s projector for compatibility. Mr. Mahon stressed the importance of storage room accessibility prior to the event, as chairs and tables will be needed for set-up.
Ms. Parry suggested holding the refreshment area outside this year, to encourage congregating outside. She added she will be holding the plant swap outside as well. Mr. Mahon agreed.
Ms. Parry suggested an edit on the flier, to say “Fun Filled Autumn Morning” verses “Fall Time Excitement”. Ms. Douden agreed to update the Fliers that have not yet been distributed.
In attendance will be Mr. Mahon, Ms. Douden, Ms. Parry, and Mr. Grove. The Board agreed to meet at 9am on September 25th. Ms. Parry asked that Jim, Scott, and Allison be invited to volunteer.
There was none.
The Regular Meeting of the Recreation and Parks Board Adjourned at 7:26PM.
The next meeting will be September 22, 2021 at 7:00PM.